Sunday, October 7, 2018

Don't Despair - Write Letters!

Leela and Enid in earlier days.

While my mother-in-law, Enid was passing her final months in a nursing facility, secondary to multiple systems not functioning, I decided to start writing her letters. Austin had stories about how people communicated through daily letters back when Enid was young. The letters were written on anything, the back of a receipt, a paper napkin, anything. Often, the letters were just about the weather or other mundane things. Knowing that took the pressure off me finding amazing things to write about. Enid was intelligent, politically tuned in (she was so hopeful that Hillary would win and she would see a female president), and watched a lot of CNN (along with old movies), so I could just discuss politics, nature, my classes, whatever was on my mind.

She died in late April, and we visited Austin in June for her memorial. It was lovely. She was a sweet and well-loved woman. And somewhat fiesty. Austin was tasked with sorting through decades worth of correspondence. I took home all of the letters I had written to her. Yesterday, I was wiping out old messages on my cell phone (I seldom check messages on my cell, so don't leave any there) and found a voicemail from Enid from January. She was thanking me for all of the letters. I had forgotten about that message and was filled with sweet sadness hearing her voice again.

I have been getting emails about a project that involves sending personal letters to people in swing districts who might not vote, and encouraging them to vote. The project is called "Vote Forward," and in the pilot study, people who received letters were more likely to vote, than the control group. The study found an increased voter turnout about 3.4 percentage points higher in districts that got letters! You can find out more and write letters at: http://www.votefwd.org/. Write as many or as few as you like. Personal, heartfelt letters encouraging people who might feel their votes do not count can make a big difference! So, if you are looking for a place to channel all the emotions you are feeling about recent events - write letters. Simple, nothing fancy. Write from the heart. Most of the letters are written for you, and you can write a simple, short note. I can guarantee 100% that Enid would approve of this message.

No comments: